Friday, October 19, 2012

Friday Fish Fry

Who doesn't love a good Friday Fish Fry?  Nobody I know.  I've tried a lot of recipes over the years, with mostly disappointing results.  I hit paydirt last time I made it, though, and I'd love to share the recipe!  This is my own recipe, created from a mishmash of all of the failed attempts.  It has a nice flavor- no bland batter here!- and I'm sure your family will love it.


1) In a large bowl, thoroughly combine flour, cornstarch, salt, cayenne, Old Bay, paprika, Creole Seasoning, and pepper (basically, all ingredients except baking powder).  Transfer 1 cup of mixture to a Pyrex baking dish.
2) Heat oil over medium heat.  Meanwhile, dry fish and cut into serving-size pieces.  Dredge, both sides, in mixture in baking dish.  This is to help the batter stick.
3) Combine baking powder with flour mixture.  Add beer slowly until consistency is a little thicker than pancake batter.
4) Dip fish in batter, coating thoroughly.  Again dredge the fish in the baking dish mixture- this will help make the fish nice and crispy.
5) Once the oil is hot enough (around 375 degrees is the goal, but I just use my judgement), place the fish in the oil a couple pieces at a time.  You don't want more than two or three pieces, or just one if your pan is very small, so that they can cook evenly.  About 7-8 minutes total for each piece is perfect, flipping once the first side is golden brown.
6) As you finish each piece, set on a wire cooling rack over some paper towels and sprinkle lightly with kosher salt.  Serve with fries, and corn on the cob.


I like mine with tartar sauce, but my husband likes his with HP Sauce.  It's a steak sauce, but it has a strong vinegar taste that pairs well with the fried fish.  I didn't take any pictures- sorry!- but I'll update the post next time I make it.  Happy eating! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! Submissions will be posted once reviewed.